Dr. M N Praveen Babu
Post-Doctoral Researcher, NMICPS TiHAN Foundation, IIT Hyderabad
LIST OF PATENTS
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, P Rajalakshmi, “Energy efficient biomimetic Nano Aerial Vehicle and method for generating energy”, December 2021, and The Application Has Been Assigned Number: 202141057570, TEMP/E-1/65432/2021-CHE. (Published).
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, P Rajalakshmi, “Techniques for Improved Maneuverability of Bioinspired Quad Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle,” April 2021, and The Application Has Been Assigned Number: 202141017174, Temp/E-1/19042/2021-CHE. (Published).
AWARDS RECEIVED FOR PDF and PhD RESEARCH WORK
- Awarded Gandhian Young Technological Innovation (GYTI) Award 2017 instituted by the Society for Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technologies and Institutions (SRISTI) for carrying out research work on the topic, Fish-Inspired Propulsion for Remotely Operated Surface Ships and Underwater Vehicles. The Award was handed by the Chairperson of National Innovation Foundation (NIF) – India on 5th March 2017 during the Festival of Innovations at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Awarded Gandhian Young Technological Innovation (GYTI) Award 2016 instituted by the Society for Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technologies and Institutions (SRISTI) for carrying out research work on the topic, Bio-Inspired Flapping Foil Propulsion System for Ships and Underwater Vehicles. The Award was handed by the Chairperson of National Innovation Foundation (NIF) – India on 13th March 2016 during the Festival of Innovations at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Awarded Prof. Vallam Sundar Prize for the Best Ph. D Thesis in Marine Hydrodynamics and Coastal Engineering for the academic year 2017-18 at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras, India.
- Awarded IEEE – Oceanic Engineering Society (OES) Student Travel Award for attending AUV 2014 Conference, University of Mississippi, USA.
- Awarded Caregiver and Registration Award for attending Ocean Sciences Meeting 2022, USA during 24th February 2022 – 4th March 2022
- Post-Doctoral Researcher (November 2020 – Present)
- Employer: National Mission Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NMICPS), TiHAN IIT Hyderabad.
- Autonomous Cars: Conversion of Vehicle into Drive by wire and steer by wire mode, Design of actuators for steering, acceleration and braking, SIL, creating real world scenarios into virtual scenarios using LiDAR sensor Data for AEB and FCW Evaluation. Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS).
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs): Autonomous Navigation, Design and development of Quad Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Drone Swarms Development, Energy Harvesting from Bioinspired Nano Drones in space applications.
- Post-Doctoral Researcher (September 2019 – September 2020)
- Employer: Harbin Institute of Technology, China.
- Experimental and numerical investigation of Flapping Foil Hydrodynamics.
- Post-Doctoral Researcher (July 2018 – September 2019)
- Employer: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai.
- Hydrodynamic study of flexible flapping foil with trailing edges using two-dimensional Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) for autonomous ships and underwater vehicles.
- Project Officer (Jan 2018 – May 2018)
- Employer: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras
- Sponsor: Naval Research Board – Project No:OEC1314120NRBXPKRS.
- Development of a numerical model for maneuvering in a water canal & subsequent implementation of the model.
- Research Assistant (Jan 2013 – Feb 2018)
- Employer: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras
- Experimental and numerical study on bioinspired flapping foil propulsion systems for ships and underwater vehicles.
- Senior Engineer (Post Graduate Engineer Trainee) (June 2012 – March 2013)
- Employer: Pipavav Shipyard Limited, Gujarat.
- Punch through Failure of Noble Kenneth Delaney – Jack-up Platform, Leg Repair, Spud can Inspection and Repair and sixth periodical hull survey with American Bureau of Shipping (ABS). Steel Renewal work and hull survey – Randolph Yost Jack-up Platform– Trans Ocean.
- Molding Engineer (May 2009 – April 2010)
- Employer: GS Alloys and Castings Limited, Andhra Pradesh.
- Production of Larsen & Toubro gears, BHEL heavy machinery components, and Sandvik Machinery components within the production deadline and 3D Modeling of castings in AutoCAD and CATIA.
- In charge of castings department.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
- Chapter(s) Published in Text Book (s)
- Mannam, N. P. B., & Krishnankutty, P. (2019). Biological Propulsion Systems for Ships and Underwater Vehicles. In Propulsion Systems. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.73998, ISBN: 978-1-83962-280-9.
- International Journal (s) (SCI/ Scopus based)
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Md. Mahbub Alam, P. Krishnankutty, (2020), Review of biomimetic flexible flapping foil propulsion systems on different planetary bodies, Results in Engineering, Volume 8, 100183, 1-19, ISSN 2590-1230, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rineng.2020.100183.
- Mannam, N. P. B., & Krishnankutty, P. (2018). Hydrodynamic study of flapping foil propulsion system fitted to surface and underwater vehicles. Ships and Offshore Structures, 13(6), 575–583. doi:10.1080/17445302.2018.1433771.
- N Praveen B M, Venkata Ramana Avula (2022), Experimental investigation of downstream cylinder vibrations caused by FIV in the presence of upstream stationary cylinder, Marine Structures, Volume 82, 103137, ISSN 0951-8339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2021.103137.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, P. Krishnankutty, Harikrishnan. V, Richards C S. (2017). Experimental and numerical study of penguin mode flapping foil propulsion system for ships. Journal of Bionic Engineering, Vol. 14, Issue 4. Elsevier. Pages: 770– 780, DOI: 10.1016/S1672-6529(16)60442-0.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Mallikarjun J M, Krishnankutty P. (2016). Hydrodynamic study of freely swimming shark fish propulsion for marine vehicles using 2D particle image velocimetry. Robotics and Biomimetics. DOI: 1 – 18,10.1186/s40638-016-0036-0. Springer.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Venkata Ramana Avula. (2022). Propulsive Performance and Optimum Configuration of Tandem Flapping Wings for Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) and Surface Ships. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. (Under Publication).
- N. P. B. Mannam, B. Sidvik and P. Rajalakshmi. (2022). Powering Prediction of an Autonomous Campus Shuttle using CFD. Special Issue on Innovation in Computing, Engineering Science & Technology organized by Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal (ASTESJ).
- N. P. B. Mannam, P. K. Duba and P. Rajalakshmi. (2022). Development of Semi-Autonomous Dragonfly based UAV in Free Flight Conditions. Special Issue on Innovation in Computing, Engineering Science & Technology organized by Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal (ASTESJ).
- Journals Under Review:
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, P Rajalakshmi, Krishnankutty. (2021). Evaluation of nature-inspired morphing flapping foil thrusters with trailing edge flaps for autonomous surface vehicles (ASVs). Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Science.(Under Review).
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Prasanth Kumar D, Sanju Kumar N T, P Rajalakshmi. (2021). Design, Implementation, and evaluation of the aerodynamic performance of nature-inspired asymmetric quad wing UAV. IEEE Robotics and Automation. (Under Review).
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Prasanth Kumar D, P Rajalakshmi. (2021). Investigation of Propulsive performance and energy extraction of bioinspired flapping wing micro aerial vehicle (MAV). Journal of Applied Energy. (Under Review).
- International Conference (s) (Scopus/SCI based)
- N. P. B. Mannam, B. Sidvik and P. Rajalakshmi, “Powering Prediction of an Autonomous Campus Shuttle using CFD,” 2021 IEEE International Conference on Smart Generation Computing, Communication and Networking (SMART GENCON), 2021, pp. 1-6, doi:10.1109/SMARTGENCON51891.2021.9645802.
- N. P. B. Mannam, P. K. Duba and P. Rajalakshmi, “Development of Semi-Autonomous Dragonfly based UAV in Free Flight Conditions,” 2021 IEEE International Conference on Smart Generation Computing, Communication and Networking (SMART GENCON), 2021, pp. 1-5, doi:10.1109/SMARTGENCON51891.2021.9645881.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Basa Sidvik, Prasanth Kumar Duba, P. Rajalakshmi. Future Mobility with eVTOL Personal Air Vehicle (PAV): Urban Air Mobility (UAM) Concept. 2022 3rd International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ICEEE 2022) organized on January 8-9, 2022 by School of Engineering, The University of Malaya (UM), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Scopus).
- N. P. B. Mannam and V. R. Avula, “Propulsive Performance of Tandem Flapping Wings for Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) and Surface Ships,” 2021 IEEE 4th International Conference on Computing, Power and Communication Technologies (GUCON), 2021, pp. 1-7, doi: 10.1109/GUCON50781.2021.9573893.
- N. P. Babu Mannam, B. Sidvik and P. Rajalakshmi, “Hydrodynamic Analysis of Extra-Terrestrial Submarine in Lakes of Titan using CFD,” 2021 International Conference on Computational Performance Evaluation (ComPE), 2021, pp. 977-982, doi:10.1109/ComPE53109.2021.9752005.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Prasanth Kumar D, P Rajalakshmi. (2022). Autonomous Bio-Inspired Micro Aerial Vehicle (MAV). IEEE IAS Global Conference on Emerging Technologies (GlobConET) is being organized on May 20-21, 2022. (Hybrid Conference).
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Mallika G, P. Rajalakshmi. (2022). Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) Evaluation for Indian Traffic Scenarios using GPS and LiDAR Data. IEEE IAS Global Conference on Emerging Technologies (GlobConET) is being organized on May 20-21, 2022. (Hybrid Conference).
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Prasanth Kumar D, P Rajalakshmi. (2022). A Low-Cost Bioinspired Dragonfly Concept for Mars Exploration: Analogous to Mars Ingenuity Helicopter. Low-Cost Science Mission Concepts for Mars Exploration, March 29 – 31, 2022, Pasadena, USA.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Basa Sidvik, P. Rajalakshmi. (2022). Concept Study of Titan Submarine Operating in Saturn Moon Titan’s Liquid Methane and Ethane Seas Using Experimental and CFD Methods, Ocean Sciences Meeting 2022, USA.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Prasanth Kumar D, P Rajalakshmi. (2022). AEB Evaluation for car to pedestrian farside Adult(CPFA) Scenarios. SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference (SIIMC2022), 12 -14th October 2022, India. (Abstract Accepted).
- Paper(s) Published in Conference Proceeding(s) as Full Paper
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, P Rajalakshmi. (2021). Thrust Performance of Insect Inspired Propulsion for Bioinspired MAVs. International Conference on Futuristic Technologies, 22-24 Jan 2021, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi. Paper No. FT-21001.
- Anties K Martin, Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Krishnankutty. P. Biomimetic Propulsion System and their Application to Marine Vehicles. International Conference on Coastal and Inland Water Systems (CIS 2019), 16th – 17th Dec 2019, IIT Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Krishnankutty. P. Hydrodynamic Study of Thunniform Bio-Inspired Fish Propulsion for Remotely Operated Surface Ships. Advances in Computational and Experimental Marine Hydrodynamics 2016 (MARHY 2016), November 24-25th, 2016. Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai (TN) – 600 036, India. ISBN: 978-93-80689-24-1.
- N. P. Babu Mannam, P. Krishnankutty and J. M. Mallikarjuna. Experimental Study of Flapping Foil Propulsion System for Ships and Underwater Vehicles and PIV Study of Caudal Fin Propulsors. 2014 IEEE/OES Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV), Oxford, MS, 2014, pp. 1-7. doi: 10.1109/AUV.2014.7054404.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Krishnankutty. P. Numerical study on the fishtail-shaped rudder for improved ship maneuvering. Proceedings of the ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering OMAE2015. May 31 – June 5, 2015, St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada. doi:10.1115/OMAE2015-41613.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Krishnankutty. P. Computational Study of Chrysopelea Paradisi Flying Snake Body Cross-Section Shape for Unmanned Airborne Vehicles. August 10-13, 2015, Kochi, India. Publisher: Research Publication group, Singapore. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing in Mechanical Engineering., ISBN: 978-981-09-6278-4, doi:10.3850/9789810962784-1570145875.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Krishnankutty. P. Experimental and Computational Study of Lift – Based Flapping Foil Propulsion for Ships. Advances in Computational and Experimental Marine Hydrodynamics 2014 (ACEMH 2014), December 3-4, 2014. Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai (TN) – 36, India. ISBN: 978-93-80689-22-7.
- Paper(s) Presented in Seminars/Workshops/Conferences (oral/poster)
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, P. Krishnankutty. Nature-Inspired Flapping Foil Propulsion for Surface Ships and AUVs. 1St KPIT-IISER Pune Energy and Mobility Ph.D. Conference held on March 22–23, 2019, at IISER, Pune, India.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, P. Krishnankutty. Biomimetic Planetary Robots for Ocean Exploration in Space. The 3rdInternational Workshop on Instrumentation for Planetary Missions will be held on October 24–27, 2016, at the Pasadena Hilton in Pasadena, California.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, P. Krishnankutty. Flapping Foils for Energy Extraction and Ship Propulsion. Indo-Australian Marine Renewable Energy Workshop, 4-5 April 2016, IIT Madras, India.
- N.P.B, Martin, A. K., and P. Krishnankutty. Environment-Friendly Bioinspired Flapping Foil Propulsion System for Marine Vehicles. 22nd International Interdisciplinary Conference on the Environment, June 28-30, 2016, Austin, Texas, USA.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Krishnankutty. P. Enhancement of Stealth Characteristics of Marine Vehicles Using Biological Propulsion Systems. NASA – ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) Science & Application Workshop 2015, Organized by SAC, ISRO, Ahmedabad, India, 19th-20th November 2015.
- Naga Praveen Babu Mannam, Krishnankutty. P. Bio-Mimetic Flapping Foil Propulsion System for Manned Submersibles. International workshop on Underwater Technology 2013, 21st October 2013, National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT), Chennai, India.
- Associate Member of RINA (Royal Institute of Naval Architects), UK. (Membership No: 00362859)
- IEEE – Ocean Engineering Society – Member. (Membership No: 93233074)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) – Member. (Membership No: 5044363)
WORKSHOPS/SHORT TERM COURSES/ INDUSTRIAL TRAINING
|Survey on Offshore|
|05/09/2011||16/09/2011||TU Delft Netherlands and|
Indian Maritime University,
|Practical Training in EKM|
|18/10/2011||29/10/2011||Indian Maritime University,|
|Submarine Design and|
|IIT Madras, Chennai||09/01/2012||13/01/2012||Naval Research Board, India|
|EFD and CFD Applications in|
|IIT Madras, Chennai||01/12/2014||02/12/2014||IIT Madras, Chennai, and|
|Insect and Bird Aerodynamics||IIT Madras, Chennai||24/12/2015||30/12/2015||IIT Madras, Chennai and|
Virginia Tech, USA
|Marine Renewable Energy|
|IIT Madras, Chennai||04/04/2016||05/04/2016||IIT Madras, Chennai and|
|Understanding Sea Level Data|
Analysis and Applications
|INCOIS, Hyderabad||10/10/2020||12/10/2020||INCOIS, Hyderabad|
- Autonomous navigation and obstacle avoidance for aerial vehicles.
- Developing SAE Level 4 autonomous vehicles – sensor integration, NCAP and ISO/SAE Standards.
- Flapping Wing Hydrodynamics, Experimental Fluid Mechanics.
- Numerical (CFD) Study on Vortex-Induced Vibrations.
- Planetary Robots; Propulsion systems for surface ships and AUVs.
- Ocean Renewable Energy Devices.
- Passenger Drones for Urban Air Mobility (UAM).
- SIL/HIL/VIL Testing of Autonomous cars.
- Vehicle conversion drive by wire system
PROGRAMMING / SOFTWARE PROFICIENCY
- Autodesk certified training in AutoCAD- Essentials, Intermediate, and 3D Modeling.
- Proficient in using Solid works x64, CATIA.
- Proficient in using FORAN Ship Design Software, Paramarine.
- Proficient in using Star ccm+, Ship flow, Ansys Fluent CFD packages.
- Matlab Programming – Flow Visualization Techniques.
- Awarded First Prize for the project on a FEED study for Royal Dutch Shell organized by the DELFT University of Technology, Netherlands.
- Awarded First Prize in National Level Technical Symposium M” explore – 07 in Sri Venkateswara University (SVU), Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
- Awarded Second Prize in CONNAISSANCE 08 – Technical Paper Presentation conducted by Mechanical Engineering Association, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, College of Engineering, Hyderabad.
- Experienced professional in engineering analyses with over two years’ industry + 6 years’ research experience.
- Strong analytical, numerical & software skills.